The Convent Of Redemption is a church with a big monastery in Bruges. It had an important art-historical role in the development of neo-Gothic in Belgium. In 1841 a redemptorist brother from Vienna built this first neo-Gothic church. It brings over a romantic evocation and a heavenly atmosphere. The zenital lightning and statues bring this place to life. The nuns had red clothing and were called the “red nuns” popularly. In the end only 7 nuns were still alive, 5 stayed in a resting home and the last 2 nuns left the monastery. This was the end of half a century of redemption and everything was for sale. The monastery is demolished now and replaced with studenthomes and a public parc.