This big open air pool is situated on a big recreation domain in Belgium. The history starts in early 1902, the national railway company wanted to add a new line for freight trains, but it stopped in 1912 when WWI started. During these years the digged holes got filled with water creating two lakes. After the war the digging continued and the lakes grew. In the 1920’s the domain spontaneously became a touristic place. More and more people went there in the hot summers to search for cool water and recreation. In 1925 the city claimed the lakes, they needed them to provide the city of water. The lakes were fenced off and armed guards protected the place. The local people and the press started a campaign to get the domain back. It took until 1933 before the domain got public again and was opened by King Albert. A private company run the place and opened a small beach and some catering buildings around it. About 35.000 people enjoyed the beach on a sunny day. Around the domain, hotels, cafes and amusement parks arise on an marketplace. In 1937 a master plan for the park was completed, the cafes and dance halls were demolished. The new infrastructure had to be more sports orientated with a large open air swimming pool, it was the biggest in Europe for several years. During WWII the domain got in German hands, they used the field as a military site. In 1944 the Americans take over the domain and it was used as an army truck repair site for several years. In 1978, the large outdoor pool was taken out of use, the pool, changing rooms and snackbar were abandoned in 1990.